Friday, 29th March 2024 13:23
Home / Uncategorized / TCOOP 2014: In the Lyons’ den, in transition

At 22 years old, James Lyons has been job-hopping for the past six months. He’s a recent college graduate with his eyes on law school. But that’s not happening right now. His law school admissions exams didn’t go the way he wanted. It was, in a word, unexpected.

“Throughout my academic career I have gotten away with putting in very minimal effort and achieving very good results with great regularity which made preparing for such a difficult test an eye opening experience for me,” he said this week.

Indeed, this is a time of transition for Lyons. He’s having to get used to being member of an adult workforce while having relatively limited work experience. In short, he’s been humbled.

“I am learning a lot about myself as a person and what I want out of life in the future,” he said.

If it’s been a tough year, it’s one made easier by the addition of a a young lady to his life, an experience he rates as the best of the past year.

“I’m definitely going to hear it from the boys about this one, but it has been an invigorating experience being with such an amazing woman” he said. “I feel blessed to have such a well-rounded and positive person as a part of my life.”

nicoles wedding.jpg

If the new girlfriend is the most interesting thing in his life, it’s saying a lot about the relationship, because our would-be law student just binked a TCOOP event for more than $117,000. Up until now, he’d never won more than $9,000 in one sitting.

“I was joking with a friend after I won that I totally skipped a five-figure score,” he said.

This is largely due to the fact that Lyons never had the time to put into poker that your normal grinders do. That’s what made TCOOP such a draw. It hosts events that are up and down in a matter of a few hours. It’s perfect for pros and recreational players alike.

“It would be a huge stretch to call me a pro poker player, but it has always been a great supplemental source of income,” he said.

Keeping that in mind, with more than $100,000 sitting fresh in his bankroll, Lyons is now ready to take a little break, travel a bit, and start studying to take the LSAT again in June. That will probably also translate to a little bit higher poker volume than before. In the meantime, he can study harder this time.

“Facing adversity is one of the best ways to progress as a person. I now know that to achieve my goal of attending law school I need to change my attitude and apply my capacities to the best of my ability,” he said.

Good luck, James, both in your educational pursuits and figuring out what to do with all the TCOOP cash.

is the PokerStars Head of Blogging

Study Poker with Pokerstars Learn, practice with the PokerStars app