Thursday, 28th March 2024 20:59
Home / Uncategorized / Time for summer camp!

It’s World Series of Poker time again. I’m going to be in Las Vegas all summer and am pretty pumped about playing all the big tournaments.

I love the schedule for this year’s WSOP, which is much more exciting for me this year than last year. I’m excited about all of the $10K events, especially the $10K razz and $10K 2-7 triple draw (Editor’s note: Jason cashed for $30,000 in the latter event last week) . When it comes to those disciplines, I’ve never really played a tournament with a buy-in higher than $2,500 or $3,000. As far as I know, no one’s ever even offered $10K events when it comes to those games, so I’m definitely looking forward to those opportunities.

jason_mercier_wsop2014.jpg

I’m also pumped about the prospect of playing the Big One for One Drop again — I’m assuming right now I’ll be playing that event, if I can afford it — where I’ll be looking for a kind of redemption.

I was in a great position in the One Drop two years ago when I was deep in the tournament and had a big stack, but then I got cooled off by Antonio Esfandiari in a hand where I had kings against his aces, and then he went on to win. So I’ll relish a second chance and hopefully can make the final table and do really well.

I’m also excited about the $50K Poker Players Championship, particularly just after winning one of the 8-game events during SCOOP — Event #34-M — which was great practice for playing all the different variants this summer.

Looking at the whole WSOP schedule, there are 20 events with buy-ins of $5K or more, and right now I’m looking at only playing those 20 events. I haven’t made any bracelet bets as yet, and I’m probably not going to, because I don’t want to be committed to having to play all of the smaller events.

A lot of the events are kind of spread out, too, with days off in between, so I’m looking forward to not having to think about two different events every single day and being distracted by having to plan to jump into another one if I were to get knocked out of the one I’m playing. I may possibly even take some days off if I’m out of those tournaments. I also might try to play some cash games, which is something I didn’t get to do last year until after I was out of the Main Event.

So I think this summer is going to be a little more relaxing and less stressful out there for me this year. And hopefully it will be successful one, too. #BraceletHunting

Jason Mercier is a member of Team PokerStars Pro

Study Poker with Pokerstars Learn, practice with the PokerStars app